I had a chance to attend Strata in New York back in October. I had been wanting to attend Strata for a few years, but had not had a chance until now. A few impressions: (in the form of brief bullets)
- It’s huge! (Over 3,000 attendees)
- Very corporate! (A bit too corporate, too stuffy, seemed like legal departments censored some presentations)
- All the cool kids are using/learning Spark (and Scala)
- Map Reduce is old news.
- Enterprises move slow like dinosaurs, are just figuring out what Map Reduce is
- Way too many vendors
- Not enough interesting/inspiring presentations
Those were just my impressions, others may have other opinions.